Main data decoding and the joys of bad documentation

I got tripped up trying to make a first pass at decoding the main data section. The MP3 spec doc i got is outdated and is missing information. So the info I have for the main data section comes from random pdfs and mp3 decoder sources.

MP3 frames are composed of a syncword, header, sidedata, and then main data. The main data has 2 parts called granules. Each granule starts with a set of scaling factors and then is followed by huffman encoded coefficients.

To make sure that python code is correct, I started adding printfs to the reference decoder. So far, so good.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in pyMP3. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s