Well I decided to take the plunge and try this blogging action. I thought it would be cool to document some of the side projects I’ve been working on. Currently, I’m working on a subSonic client for my N900. To speed up development, all the code has been in python. Now that I’ve got the REST stuff going, I need to play the MP3 stream. This is where the blog comes in. I’m going to write a python based MP3 decoder. Yeah, its a bad idea from a performance standpoint, but from a learning/documenting perspective, it is quick and easy. I finished a h.264 decoder in python about 3 months ago (code up soon), so I have a lot of building blocks ready to go.
OK, time to get started. The MP3 spec 11172-3 cost money. (which makes no sense! its a open spec). So unlike the h264 stuff, I dont have a solid reference. Instead I’m going to break apart the Fraunhofer code and document the decode process.