First round of speed ups

I started to optimize the subband synthesis with some mild success. If i use psyco and a mono mp3 at 128kps, it 10x slower than realtime. I think I’m going to have to resort to numpy tricks. A short term goal is 100% python realtime decode of an mp3 (super common python modules are fine).

About these ads
This entry was posted in pyMP3. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to First round of speed ups

  1. Pingback: Decoding MP3 in Python - Hack a Day

  2. Stavros says:

    You might want to try Cython (or, even better, ShedSkin).

  3. numpy tricks? says:

    i’ve found the overhead of using numpy to not be worth it unless you’re doing TONS of matrix stuff. but good luck.

  4. Kishore says:

    You said ” but from a learning/documenting perspective, it is quick and easy.” So, obviously you want this project to aid for learning. Then I suggest not to go for optimizations. Or instead you can have different code packages for different stages. I mean a code package for un-optimized mp3 decoder , a code package for optimized. That way it helps the learner more.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s